Friday, September 16, 2011

I Turned My Mom into a Baby Wearer!

I think my mom is a fairly down to earth, modern, non-hippie parent.
She only did cloth diapering and home made baby food because it was
normal for her culture and part of her budget. It wasn't an
eco-choice or healthy safety choic like it is for lots of moms today
who have other options.

She did not do baby wearing or co sleeping or avoid vaccines or do
breastfeeding. Those weren't in her culture at the time.

Last weekend we took a walk to a family cemetary and I knew EK needed
some cuddle time and to be upright so she'd sleep in the car on the
way home better. My mom wanted to hold her, but I advised her to wear
EK in a sling. All I had was a sized hotsling, which had shrunk
because of drying it on high heat in the dryer (big bummer!). My mom
was a trooper and squeezed into it anyway! The end result was an
adorable grandmother/baby bonding time.

I am not sure that I advocate baby wearing over teaching a child to
walk or explore the world in a more independent manner, but I
certainly feel like there's a time for baby wearing as a matter of
nurture.

My mom said she enjoyed the experience! Maybe I'll get her in a Moby
wrap on our next visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment